Why CanadaToggle Home » Study In » Why Canada??

More than 130,000 students come to study in Canada every year. In addition to this number are many more that come to Canada to learn English or French. Foreign students bring a rich culture to our classrooms. Your knowledge and skills are welcome in our schools.

The provinces regulate education and schools in Canada. For more detailed information on living and studying in a specific province or territory, contact the school where you wish to study.

Studying in another country can be an adventure and a challenge. Read about what to consider before applying for a Study Permit, how to apply, work opportunities for foreign students and find other important information.

All persons who want to study in Canada need to apply for a student authorization and obtain the written approval of a consulate officer. To apply for an authorization you must:

  • Have a valid passport
  • Have a letter of acceptance from an educational institution
  • Have enough money to support yourself
  • Complete an application form and
  • Pay a fee

Who needs a study permit?
Not everyone needs a Study Permit to study in Canada. Find out if you need a Study Permit or a Temporary Resident permit.

What is a student authorization?
A student authorization is a form issued by an consulate officer. It allows you, after your admittance, to remain in Canada to take an academic, professional or vocational training course at an approved university, college or other institution.

Who needs a student authorization?
If you are not a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada or a dependant of a diplomat accredited to Canada, you must obtain a student authorization.

Where do I apply?
You apply to the nearest Canadian consulate office. You must obtain permission to study in Canada before leaving for Canada. However, the following persons may apply from within Canada:

  • Dependants of athletes, media representatives, members of the Clergy, or military personnel on assignment in Canada
  • Dependants of officials of foreign governments working in Canada with a federal or provincial agency under an exchange agreement
  • Dependants of a person who has a valid student or employment authorization and
  • A person who is a holder of a Minister's permit and his or her dependants
  • In addition, the following persons may apply at a Canadian port of entry
  • Citizens and permanent residents of the United States, St. Pierre and Miquelon, or Greenland

What is the cost of a application?
If a student  and/or authorization is required, the cost is CAN$125

How long is the permission valid for?
Student premission and authorization are valid for the duration of the program of study

What are the basic requirements for student authorization?
You must satisfy the consulate officer that you meet the requirements of the Canadian High Commission and that you will be in Canada for a temporary stay. You must also:

  • Satisfy a consulate officer that you will be able to return to your country or be admitted to another country after your studies
  • Have been unconditionally accepted by an approved educational institution
  • Have enough money during your stay in Canada to pay for

    O  Tuition fees
    O  Living expenses for yourself and accompanying dependants and
    O  Return transportation for yourself and accompanying dependants
  • Be law abiding and have no record of criminal activity (you may be asked to provide a Police Clearance Certificate)
  • Not be a risk to the security of Canada
  • Produce any additional documents requested by the consulate officer to establish your admissibility
  • Complete a medical examination, if required and
  • Pay the fee

Application Process
This section explains how an application is made, how long it will usually take and how it will be processed by the consulate office.

When should I apply?
The time required to process an application to study in Canada may vary at different consulate offices. You should apply as early as possible, and allow at least six months to plan and prepare for your move. Note: Canadian universities suggest you apply for admission at least one year in advance of your planned arrival.

What documents are required?
You are required to provide the following documents for yourself and any accompanying dependants:

1. Proof of unconditional acceptance

  • For attendance at a university, college or technical institution, a letter from the educational institution to show: O The name of the institution
    O Confirmation of your acceptance and/or registration as a student
    O The course of study
    O The duration of the academic program and
    O The latest date you may register
  • For attendance at a primary or secondary school, a letter from the school board having jurisdiction for the school you are attending (or for private schools, a letter from the school itself), indicating: O The name of the school
    O The level of study and
    O The duration of the course

2. Proof of identity

  • A valid passport or travel document or identity document that guarantees re-entry to the country that issued it (citizens and permanent residents of the United States, St. Pierre and Miquelon, and Greenland do not require a passport but do require proof of status such as a national identity card or an alien registration card); and
  • Two recent passport size photos for each family member (the name and date of birth of the person should be written on the back of each photo).

3. Proof of financial support

  • Evidence that you can support yourself and accompanying dependants while you study in Canada. Such evidence may include: O proof of a Canadian bank account in your name if money has been transferred to Canada
    O Your bank statements for the past four months; o a bank draft in convertible currency
    O Proof of payment of tuition and residence fees
    O For those with a scholarship or those with a Canadian funded educational program: proof of funding paid from
       within Canada
  • If foreign exchange control measures exist in your country, you must provide proof that you will be permitted by the exchange control authorities of your country to export funds for all of your expenses; and
  • If additional documents are required, a consulate officer will inform you.

Note: Children under 16 years of age who are traveling alone must have information (name, address, phone number) about the person or school that will be responsible for them. If the child is the subject of a custody order, proof of custody and the other parent's consent must also be provided. Minors traveling without their parents require a letter of permission from the non-accompanying parent(s).

Will I need to attend an interview?
After reviewing your application, a consulate officer will decide if an interview is necessary. If so, the cosulate officer will inform you of the time and place.

Will I or my accompanying dependants need a medical examination?
In some cases you will require a medical examination. A consulate officer will decide on this and send instructions if a medical are required. It may add over three months to the processing of your application.

Can I work in Canada?
You may be able to work while you are studying in Canada only in special situations. It can be difficult to find a job in Canada. You should come to Canada with enough money to live and pay your bills while you are studying.

Do not work without authorization, if u do, you may be asked to leave Canada

How do I obtain an extension of my student authorization?

Phone your nearest Canada consulate & vfs Centre in Canada at least two months before the expiry of your student authorization, to obtain an application in the mail.

Embassy contact information: Please contact the nearest Canadian embassy for information on what documentation you may require to enter Canada.

Why canada ?

In Canada the education system was divided into three stages. A very important point in Canada is its potentiality in literacy. If we search for the illiteracy rate in Canada hardly we can't find it more than 4%. This was happening because the Canadian government has laid basic foundations. If we talk about the education stages in Canada the education system is divided into elementary education, is a secondary education and higher education.Higher education in Canada begins after the compulsory secondary education. Students depending on their skill sets and capabilities pursue graduate studies which are both professional and vocational in nature.

Biochemistry and Computer Science have been among the fastest growing disciplines at the bachelor's level in the last five years, closely followed by Nursing, Sociology and Psychology.

Higher education in Canada begins after the compulsory secondary education. Students depending on their skill sets and capabilities pursue graduate studies which are both professional and vocational in nature. Biochemistry and Computer Science have been among the fastest growing disciplines at the bachelor's level in the last five years, closely followed by Nursing, Sociology and Psychology. Canadian universities have earned an international reputation for excellence. Their faculty has recognized research and teaching strengths in areas such as computer sciences, business (including MBA programs), health sciences, law, ocean studies, natural resources, and agriculture.

As a bilingual nation, Canada offers superior English as a Second Language (ESL) and French as a Second Language (FSL) programs for students wishing to learn either or both languages.

When we consider about scholar ships in Canada it is limited when compared to some other nations. They rarely cover the full cost of a study program and they are not always easy to find. For international students the scholar ships available at some Canadian institutions only with respect to student performance. The scholarship amount vary from institute to institute and the scholarship can be availed only part of the students education and living expenses. Regarding the scholarship information the complete details will be displayed in the calendar of each university very specifically in their websites. To obtain scholarship in Canada it is very competitive and applications must be made directly to each university along with the application for admission. Community and Career Colleges do not usually award scholarships nor do school boards or most private schools. In Canada there were different organizations that administer different scholar ship programs and them for graduate students and professors who are studying and doing their research on a specific subject. A very important note for the students who are seeking scholarships it is better to check out the possibilities in home nation only through public and private organizations.

The cost of housing varies widely. Prices depend on the location, age and condition of the apartment or house, and the local market. You can expect to pay from $350 a month for a room to $2,000 a month for a luxury apartment or a house. Housing is usually less expensive if it is outside a large city. Purchase prices for houses range considerably depending on the city, town or location where you buy. When you are budgeting for your housing costs, you may have to allow as much as 35 to 50 percent of your income. This should include the cost of such things as heating, electricity and other utilities.

Canada is equipped with good medical facilities. In Canada some universities require insurance.

You should apply for a health insurance card as soon as you arrive in Canada. Each member of your family, even babies, must have their own health insurance card.

All Canadian citizens and permanent residents are eligible for Medicare. In some provinces, temporary workers, students and others who are in Canada temporarily may also be eligible.

To apply for a health insurance card, contact the Ministry of Health in the province or territory where you live. You can get an application form from any doctor's office, hospital or pharmacy, or directly from your Ministry of Health. Apply for your health insurance card as soon as possible after arriving in Canada.

You will need to show your birth certificate, you're Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292) and your passport when you apply for a health card. You can also show your Permanent Resident Card. You may also need to provide other documents showing your name, address and signature. Contact your Ministry of Health for more information.

In most provinces, you will receive coverage as soon as you apply for your health card. In British Columbia, Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick, there is a three-month waiting period before your coverage begins. You should buy your own private health insurance in case you need medical care during the waiting period. Private insurance companies are listed in the yellow pages of the telephone book. You can also get help finding private medical insurance from an organization that helps immigrants.
People claiming refugee status who are needy or living in a province with a three-month eligibility waiting period can get emergency or essential health-care services through the Interim Federal Health Program.
Basic requirements

  • 65-70% for admission in your 12th grade for undergraduate study in a university Community colleges and Technical Institutes are more flexible)
  • Minimum of 550 in your TOEFL score (paper-pencil test)/213 (computer based test)
  • For Masters degree you require 16 years of education(10+2+4)
  • Work experience and a GMAT score of 600 range for MBA programmes

The process of making an educated decision on your place and programme of study and receiving the necessary authorizations can be lengthy. We, therefore, recommend that you begin your research one year in advance.

Intake in Canada: September and January

Indian Diaspora

Canada can boast of an enriching community of Indians who migrated to Canada long ago. This country is still one of the most sought after nations to migrate to. With some excellent educational programs and job opportunities the number is growing every year. Toronto's Indo Canadian community is fairly diverse and includes people primarily of Punjabi, Gujarati, Tamil, Keralite, Bengali, and Sindhi ethnic backgrounds. There are well over 100 Sikh societies in Canada alone and the same number of Hindu societies/temples as well. Hindu temples are usually established by separate Indian ethnic communities. There are numerous radio programs that represent Indo-Canadian culture. A number of Canadian television networks broadcast programming that features Indo-Canadian culture. Indians have surely established a mark in the field of governance, art, culture, literature, and education.

Indian embassy
Indian Embassy in Canada High Commission of India
10, Springfield Road, Ottawa, Ontario-KIM 1 C9, Canada.