Why USAToggle Home » Study In » Why USA??

America is a land that can boast of having many competitive institutions of higher education. These colleges and universities in the U.S may be both private and public. Currently, the U.S is supposed to have 168 universities ranking among the world's top 500 colleges and universities, 17 of which feature among the top 20. In addition to this, there are various other smaller universities and liberal arts colleges and local community colleges of varying quality across the country. These features make the US a very sought-after educational destination.

Large numbers of students, from all over the world come to the United States to study at both undergraduate and graduate levels. Without a doubt, America offers very high quality postsecondary education. There are more than 4,000 public and private colleges, universities, and community colleges in the United States, including over 600 public four-year colleges and universities and over 1,650 private four - year colleges and universities. These traditional institutions enroll nearly 15 million students. In addition, more than 6,250 other non - collegiate postsecondary institutions offer specialized vocational and technical training.

American society is enormously diverse and complex. Important differences exist between geographical regions, between rural and urban areas, and between social classes. In addition, the presence of millions of immigrants who came to the United States from all corners of the world with their own culture and values adds even more variety and flavor to American life.

It is talked of as the land of dream fulfillment, of cutting edge quality, of mega bucks and of life as you want it to be. Whatever you have heard about the U.S., it's true. And getting an education there is probably the simplest and most reputable way of being a part of the great American dream. And also, US education is eminently affordable, if done the right way. Unlike other parts of the world, where self-funding is the only way to pay for your education, the US education system offers an array of scholarships and loans besides earn-as-you-learn opportunities.

Studying in the USA is an investment in your future.  Tuition varies greatly, by school and location. Depending on where you choose to study, your yearly tuition can vary from US$15,000 to US$30,000. Living and food expenses is approximately 5,000 US$ to 10,000 US$.

Studying is a tough business; it requires investment of time and money. And when you invest in education, you invest now and receive dividends years after. Also investing in education is not a onetime business; it requires investment on a continuous basis. Any investment is done for making profits and education is not an exception to this.

Why U.S.A?

People always are willing to invest in education; educating themselves or educating children. Governments invest in education to educate people. And earning education outside home country is considered as wise investment; however, it may cost more.

The US Schools, universities and institutions offer excellent education and training quality. The education received from a US school / college / university department is recognized everywhere in the world. That's why students from all over the world prefer USA when a foreign degree matters to them. Also the variety of courses offered in US schools / colleges is quite high.

The schools, / colleges, and university institutions in United States attracts students from all around the globe. These schools and institutes not only teach but also help incoming students in various others matters; like getting a tutor, earning scholarships or free-ships and or getting a part time job to meet study expenditures.

Your study and stay in US will be a great experience; you will be able to share your knowledge with best brains, since scholars from all part of the world come here for study or work. You will also fortunate enough to learn about different cultures of the world as you will find communities from different sections of the society within campus.

The USA is leader in newest technologies which originates from its' institutions. Stay and study in US means having enriched with latest technological knowledge which will give you an edge over others in real life. Hence a US degree is beneficial in several aspects and preferred over others.

The United States believes in share of knowledge, and for that region arranges for education fairs in different part of the world. The educationist and representatives from different US institutions make their presence in these fairs to give International students an insight about what a US institution / US degree offers.

A few decades back studying outside home country was the business of rich, now, its business of rich and brainy. People do globetrotting to earn education, the good education. And when one considers going abroad for study; the United States is considered as 'Hot Education Destination'. There are some more important reasons, which make U.S a "Hot Education Destination".

U.S. colleges are known worldwide for the quality of their facilities, resources, and faculty. Accreditation systems ensure that institutions continue to maintain these standards.

The U.S. education system features many types of institutions, academic and social environments, entry requirements, degree programs, and subjects in which you can specialize.

A U.S. degree offers excellent value for the money. A wide range of tuition fees and living costs, plus some financial help from colleges, make study in the United States affordable for hundreds of thousands of international students each year.

U.S. universities and colleges offer flexibility in choice of courses, but more importantly there is also the option for students to move from institution to another. Completing the first two years of a degree at one institution, usually a community college, and then moving to another, is very common.

World class learning institutions with cutting edge technology, endless study choices, worldwide recognition, a diverse mix of people and culture, flexibility in terms of course schedules and hours, and a globally focused course curriculum, all make the US one of the most attractive student destinations in the world.

Any student can find an appropriate program within the rich and diverse higher education system. This is true whether you are seeking career - oriented vocational and technical training from a community college, a liberal arts education from a small private college, an undergraduate science degree from a prestigious research institution, or one of a variety of programs offered by a multipurpose university. High quality educational programs are offered in all types of institutions at prices that vary as much as the programs and institutions themselves.


To enter the United States as a student, you must apply at a US Embassy or Consulate . You are required to make an appointment in India to submit the file in US Embessy or Consulate. You can submit the file only after you receive the requisite I-20 or IAP-66 form from the institution you have been accepted to. The information outlined below is designed to help you to understand the file process.

There are several students who apply for study in USA to complete their higher education or any professional degree course. As a student ,he/she is generally required the course of study is for more than 18 hours a week. Applicants can request for information regarding students  application at any of the US VFS Application Centre situated in eleven cities across India. There are several procedures that one has to go through in order to get a study permission for the United States of America.

Types of Study program in USA

Candidates who wish to study in the United States have to submit the file at any of the US VFS Application Centre located in India. There are primarily two types of categories for study in USA. These are F-1 (Student program) and J-1 (Exchange Visitor program). The F-1 program is meant for students who have enrolled for a full-time academic or language program. These students can stay in the US for the complete duration of the academic program plus 60 days.

The other type of Study program is J-1 , which is issued for candidates requiring practical training that is unavailable in their country of residence in order to complete their academic program. J-1 students are required to compulsorily return to their home country for at least two years subsequent to the end of their studies in the United States.

Documents required for the file process :-

There several important documents that needs to be furnished when applying for a Study in USA. Here is a list of the documents required for submit the file:-

A Valid Passport: - A student needs to have a valid passport. It has to be valid for at least 6 months after the day the student appears for  embessy interview.

A Demand Draft: - A demand draft (D/D) has to be made on the name of embassy.
The Embessy Fee: - For submit the file in the embessy or consulate , you have to pay the embessy fee either in cash through D/D.

The Application Form: -After the Embessy fee you have to obtain the application form and it's should be a Non-Immigrant Application Form. The application form requires a 37mm * 37mm color photo with a white/light background and the place of residence that is where you will stay after reaching there is also asked in this form.

The I-20 Form, Letter of Admission and Aid letter: - A student has to fill the I-20 form and complete the student and school copy and need to sign them. Student has to carry along any correspondence with the University that he feels is significant.

Exam scores: -Student has to take original copies of GRE and TOEFL scores and need to produce when asked.

Financial Documentation: - Student needs to produce all the original documents that were used to evaluate the funds. Some of the documents used for evaluation are-
the Tax returns of parents, salary certificate, bank passbooks, bank FD receipts, company FD receipts, share certificates, property documents, gold evaluation and any other document that student may has used.

Sponsor's Letter: - Student needs to obtain a letter from his sponsor (generally parents) stating that he/she/they will provide for the complete expenses for the entire course of study.

Documents required for F-1 program 

If student's interview is at the U.S. consulate in Mumbai, he will need to submit some of the documents in advance to VFS, as listed here. The rest of the documents should be carried to the interview.

 Mandatory Documents

  • Passport
  • One Photograph
  • Confirmation page of online submitted Form DS-160 with CEAC bar code
  • Embessy fees
  • Original Interview appointment letter and one copy
  • Both pages of the bar coded, original SEVIS generated Form I-20 obtained from U.S. college, school or university and signed by student and a school official and one copy of Form I-20
  • Original proof of payment of SEVIS Fee Receipt I-901 and one copy, if applicable

Supporting Documents

  • Photocopies of front page, last page and remark pages of current passport.
  • Proof of liquid assets sufficient to pay for the entire first year of education and living expenses as well as proof of readily available funds to cover the remaining year(s) of studies.
  • Proof of ability to afford school in the United States.
  • Notarized Form I-134 (Affidavit of support), if student is financially supported by an individual in the United States.
  • In case a student has taken a loan, the official documents which verify the loan approval.
  • Original degree certificates along with mark sheets.
  • Original Bachelor degree transcripts or high school diploma along with mark sheets from previous institutions attended.
  • Relevant test scores, e.g., TOEFL and SAT, GRE, GMAT or LSAT.

Working during study:

Work permit rules: - During first 9 months of study international students are allowed to work on campus part time. International students can work only up to 15 hours/week while school is in session. When classes are not in session (vacation), they may work full time, or 30 hours per week. 
After 9 months they need to take permission from university to work off campus.
Spouse cannot work fulltime. They have to obtain work permit from USA to work full time.

After completion of studies students are allowed to stay in USA on OPT (Optional Practical Training) generally for one year whereas students of Science and Engineering get OPT of 27 (twenty-seven) months, during that duration students need to convert their status from student to work permit  (H1B) which can later on be converted to Green card.